Jamrud Fort was built by the Sikh governor of Peshawar, Hari Singh, in 1836.
After the British occupied it,they used it to mount campaigns in the Frontier and
Afghanistan and designated it a toll collection point for the Khyber Pass.
In 1878 the Khyber Rifles militia wa raised to protect British troops on the
Frontier and Jamrud Fort became its headquarters.