Lady Reading Hospital is one of the oldest and largest Teaching Institutes of the country which provide state of Art, excellent curative and preventive services to the ailing humanity of the Frontier Province. It is also called loye (big) huspatal (hospital) and Gernali Huspatal. It was established in 1924 and it is just 200 meters away in the south of Grand Trunk Road, behind the famous historical Qila Balahisar. Famous Masjid Muhabat Khan, Ander Shehr bazaar, Qissa Khawani bazaar and Khyber bazaar is across the road of LRH. LRH is just outside historical wall in the jurisdiction of cantonment board. The anecdote of the hospital of its coming into being is that His Excellency Mr. Lord Reading, viceroy of the subcontinent from 1921 to 1926, happened to visit Peshawar. He was accompanied by his spouse Lady Reading. She was fascinated by the view of the city from Balahisar where they had lodged.
in 1928 and in its annals of 76 years prominent doctors have cured the ailing humanity. a. Dr. Hakeem Ullah Jan and Khan Bahadar Abdus Samad Khan Are the great names to be mentioned here whose superb character has the aspect that the people who had only heard Dr. Hakeem Ullah Jan but had not seen them did honor them. The anecdote of the hospital of its coming into being is that His Excellency Mr. Lord Reading, viceroy of the subcontinent from 1921 to 1926, happened to visit Peshawar. He was accompanied by his spouse Lady Reading. She was fascinated by the view of the city from Balahisar where they had lodged. She expressed her desire to see the city. She was provided horse in compliance with her desire. She visited the city. As she was returning back to the fort the horse took the fright causing fall of the Lady from the horse back. This resulted in some injuries to the Lady Reading. Non-availability of medical aid instantly made her unconscious. She was rushed to Agerton Hospital where the facilities were scanty. Uncomforting to cater for the requirements, she was shifted to the Royal Artillery Hospital now called CMH Peshawar where she was given proper treatment. The immense impact of this incidence on her made it imperative to construct a hospital. On retirement of Lord Reading in 1926 she came to Peshawar from Dehli and campaigned to construct a standard hospital in place of Agerton Hospital.
This new hospital was subsequently named as Lady Reading Hospital. Later on the hospital was given into status of District Headquarters hospital with 150 beds and in 1930 it was 200 beded hospital.After partition in 1955 Khyber Medical College Peshawar University was established and the hospital assumed the status of the teaching hospital. Then it had four words consisting of Medical, Surgical, ENT and T.B wards. Doctor Khan Bahadur Abdul Samad Khan had been the first Medical Superintendent of the hospital. Doctor Muhammad Ayaz Khan was appointed the first Administrator of the hospital in 1973. This hospital became affiliated to Khyber Medical College in 1955 with medical, surgical, ENT, Eye & T.B wards. Our O.P.D is going above 2500 patients per day and the casualty attendants of A & E departments is more than 1500 or 1800 per day. Every machine of this hospital is running round the clock and so are the doctors and nurses.